The Smell of Success....sorta

I'm pretty sure I could do without my sense of smell. This diet thing would be a whole lot easier if I didn't have to smell all the delicious food that always seems to be around.

Example #1: Today is the hub's birthday and so a few days ago I allowed him some time in Cabellas. You would think that Cabellas would be a safe place to go, even if you're hungry. Wrong! They have these amazing Cinnamon glazed almonds that you can smell throughout the entire store. It is really hard to ignore the smell of something as good as glazed almonds, when there is nothing else of interest in the store. Luckily, I made it out without giving in. (Although my attitude was probably a little less than pleasant for a few moments following) Phew.

Example #2: I'm not sure I told you this already, but at my work, every Thursday's lunch is catered. Usually this doesn't bother me too much since my office is way down the hall from the kitchen and occasionally they bring in really yummy, healthy things to eat. Today, however, is pizza and the smell is practically assaulting my nose. Its not even noon yet and I'm thinking I'm hungry. I know I'm not. I had a good filling breakfast and I usually don't eat my lunch until one o'clock.

I have a plan though. Right after I finish this post, I'm going to talk myself up. I'm going to remind myself of why I'm choosing not to eat the pizza. (I'm not depriving, I'm deciding!) Then I'm going to waltz right on into that kitchen, fill up two bottles of water so that I don't have to go back anytime soon, and put on some smelly, flowery, lotion that smells nothing like something I'd want to eat.

Wish me luck!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I know what you mean. I am convinced that our sense of smell increases when you are trying to lose weigh. Good job on skipping the almonds, and coming up with a plan on the pizza.

Much luck!
I can so identify with this! My husband says my bigger than average nose size is to blame for my keen olfactory sense:) This past weekend I drooled when I smelled toasting bagels, fresh baked cinnamon rolls, and hot apple dump cake right. Oh the torture! How about chewing a strong flavored piece of gum?
Miz said…
ahhhh the nose huh?
foiled my intuitive habits many a time :)

ADORE the mantra of decision not depriving though---did it work??

MizFit
Mesha said…
Much luck to you! Just found your blog from Amy's page and LOVE IT! I'm now a follower. Keep up all the good hard work, you're doing great girl. I'm proud of you and I just "met" ya! It's most definitely worth it, this journey that we are on - keep at it! BTW: loved that (I'm not depriving, I'm deciding!) - that inspired me today. Much blog love.
Mesha said…
CORRECTION...lol, I didn't find you from Amy's blog - I found you because you started following my blog..hey, thanks. :) Hope we can inspire and encourage each other. Have a great weekend and keep chugging that water and sniffing that lotion. YOu've got this!
Tricia said…
have a great weekend!
Jess said…
I love "I'm not depriving, I'm deciding!"

I'm gonna use that. Thanks for sharing that about the Peanut Butter.

Have a great day.
You are so right about the not depriving, you're deciding! Very accurate! We just want to please our mouths momentarily! It's a trap, that nose of ours! You go!
I'm not depriving, I'm deciding-LOVE this! Going right up on the fridge!

Aww the devilish sense of smell. It is a tricky one. I hope your tricks worked tho!

Have a good one :D
Just Jay said…
For me, it's watching something that invokes a craving. I will watch something on TV whether it's a movie or TV show and it will be something that the characters are eating and in my head I hear "MUST EAT THAT!"
Skye-Lynn said…
I agree! Boy, if only I could get rid of my nose!

Popular posts from this blog

Hello All

Hello World.

CSN Gift Card Giveaway